After the election in 2004, we were preached at that George W. Bush won election (not re-election) due to the rejection of John Kerry by “values voters” .. as if the millions who voted for Kerry had no decent values. That spurred me to write the following, which I still embrace today. In this election, even more than that one, it’s important to recall that we on the left have values as well — values which I, personally, think are better than those evidenced by the rabid right.
I am a “Values Voter”.
* compassion over condemnation
* debate over demagoguery
* reason over rage
* freedom over fear
* truth over lies
These are American values.
* that real patriots ask questions
* that government should not decide who I am, or who you are
* that a sound safety net serves the interest of us all
* that people should be judged on the content of their character, not the content of their wallets or the color of their skin
* that justice everywhere is threatened by injustice anywhere
* that labor has dignity and diversity has worth
* that each person deserves a fair deal and a true opportunity
These are core American beliefs.
I am a “values voter”…
… and this is my country, too.